Shildon AFC league challenge set-back

Shildon AFC’s challenge for the league title took a set-back at home on Saturday 7th March, when they were surprisingly beaten 1- 0 by Consett.

In blustery conditions Consett kicked with the wind and early on No 9 Jack Walker beat three Shildon defenders but fired wide.

On 23 minutes a great shot from Matthew Slocombe produced an equally great one-handed save from Shildon’s keeper Kyle Hayes.

For Shildon, Billy Greulich-Smith headed over and Ben Wood fired straight at the keeper.

Before the break, on 38 minutes, Shildon’s Darren Richardson was carried off the field with a bad injury which damaged ligaments in his knee and ankle.

Half Time: Shildon AFC 0 Consett 0.

The best chance of the game so far fell to Consett’s Michael Mackay on 51 minutes when he was through, but somehow missed the goal.

Minutes later Consett’s keeper Chris Elliott dropped the ball from a corner for Billy Greulich-Smith’s shot to be cleared off the line by a defender.

Shildon were on top with Jamie Harwood firing over the bar from 6 yards and Bobby Moore only 5 yards out trying to place the ball instead off blasting it in.

On 67 minutes Adam Rundle crossed to Ben Wood whose header hit the post, and the rebound was put away by Paul Connor, but he was judged to be off side.

With 6 minutes remaining Consett scored the only goal of the game when a right wing corner was palmed out by Shildon’s keeper Kyle Hayes to No 11 Joshua Gray, who cracked the ball into the right corner of the net.

Final Score: Shildon AFC 0 Consett 1.

Goalscorer: Gray 84.

Subs: Chapman for Richardson 38, Rundle for Ellison 65, Rae for Connor 70.

Bookings: (Y) Wood.

Man-of-the-Match: Ben Wood.

Shildon gave the ball away far too easily throughout the game and were not at their best. The manager said it was a tired team performance.

In the end things didn’t work out too badly on the day as all the other possible title contenders dropped points.

The league is still wide open with possibly 6 teams still capable of winning the championship.

Shildon still have 12 games to play.

On Wednesday 11th March they were at home to Ashington and then on Saturday 14th March local rivals Bishop Auckland are at Dean Street.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here