Shildon sink Penrith with five star display

With the pressure of defending their league title removed, a relaxed Shildon, playing carefree football, ensured the journey back over the Pennines would be a long one for Penrith after they were thumped 5-1 on Thursday 30th March.

Amar Purewal, playing up front alongside Michael Rae, wreaked havoc, helping himself to a hat-trick that could have been doubled were it not for some goalkeeping heroics. He also provided the knock down for Rae’s thumping first half volley.

There were a number of changes in the Shildon line up, with Daryll Hall returning to the club after signing from Dunston.

Youngster Ethan Grayson stepped up from the development squad for his first team debut at left back after a starring performance just the night before for Sunderland FC FOL Shildon in the National Football Youth League U19’s game against Burnley.

Also returning to the side was David Vincent, who debuted from the U18’s towards the end of last season but saw his chances this season limited, eventually being sent out on loan to Crook Town.

Shildon got off to a flyer scoring after just three minutes when Penrith’s defence were caught napping.

A long kick from keeper Nick Liversedge put Purewal through and he rounded the advancing keeper before sidefooting into an empty net.

The lead was doubled on 14 minutes when Lewis Dodds ran through and unselfishly squared the ball to Purewal for his second goal of the night.

Two minutes later, with just a quarter hour played, it was already game over for Penrith when a cross from the left was nodded down to Rae whose left foot shot gave keeper Jamieson no chance.

It was Penrith’s third game in six days and the tired defence was being opened up at will by the rampant Railwaymen, but the visitors consolidated and with Shildon unable to add to their lead, Penrith pulled a goal back on 35 minutes when Sam Hodgson clumsily conceded a penalty after running into Kevin Connelly.

Martyn Coleman duly converted the spot kick.

However, Shildon were in no mood to relieve the pressure on the flagging Blues and it was more of the same in the second half with Shildon in control.

Early on Purewal should have scored twice, before a Rae free kick was saved by the keeper, but the rebound landed perfectly for Purewal to head home for his hat-trick.

If Penrith thought Shildon would relax, the arrival of Lewis Wing from the bench would have dispelled them of any such notion.

And it was Shildon’s player of the season who scored the final goal of the match, and possibly a contender for goal of the season, when he rounded the entire Penrith defence before slotting past keeper Jonny Jamieson.

It was a fitting goal to mark the club’s 100th in the league, with Wing scoring 24 of them from midfield.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here